A one-day introduction to the UK Data Protection Act 2018, its recent changes since Brexit, and its relationship to the UK (and EU!) versions of the General Data Protection Regulation.
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
We cover the structure of the law, the key areas of the act, its relationship to other information management laws, and carry out an overview of processing for general, law enforcement and intelligence services processing. We also cover the role and powers of the UKs regulator (the information commissioner) and local exemptions available in national law.
Throughout the duration of the course we will cover the following topics:
- Structure of the Act
- Changes to key definitions contained in the GDPR
- The lawful bases for processing special category
- Personal data in the UK
- Exemptions from the GDPR in the UK
- How provisions based on the GDPR are applied by the Act to activities outside EU competence
- Processing of personal data by competent authorities for law enforcement purposes
- Modifications to the rights of individuals
- Public interest processing - scope and applicability
- Enhanced powers of the Information Commissioner
- 1 day course with experienced trainer
- All course materials
- Lunch and refreshments (if classroom based)
- DPAS folder, pad and pen (if classroom based)
- Template documents to take away
The course takes 1 days to complete and will be held virtually.
There will be an exam at the end of the course, this is to ensure that all delegates have fully understood the training throughout the day.
You will need access to Microsoft Teams and OneDrive throughout the course. All documents will be shared via OneDrive and sessions will be held via Teams.
The course will start at 9:00 am and finish at 4:00pm.
Our course is great for
This qualification is primarily aimed at those who need to have an understanding of data protection, and the UK GDPR in particular, to do their job; or those whose effectiveness in their role would be enhanced by knowledge of the law in this area.
This qualification is likely to be of particular benefit to those working in the following areas:
- Senior Management with data/information management roles
- Data Protection roles
- Data Privacy
- Data Security
- Information Security
- IT Management
- Project Management
- Records Management
- Software Engineering and Privacy by Design
|Handling Data Breaches||Register interest|
|BCS Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection||18 Jan 23|
|Data Sharing in the Public Sector||21 Feb 23|
|Caldicott Guardian Course||23 Feb 23|