Caldicott Guardian Course
Our half day Caldicott Guardian training course will increase your confidence in protecting patient data confidentiality.
Live online events
- 22 November4 hours, 09:00 AM GMT - 01:00 PM GMTOnlineBarry Moult
- £300.00 excl. VAT
- 23 February4 hours, 09:00 AM GMT - 01:00 PM GMTOnlineBarry Moult
- £300.00 excl. VAT
Appropriate information sharing is key in the health and social care sector – it ensures that caregivers of all types have up to date, relevant information about the people in their care. Patients can be at risk if their information isn’t up to date, but the information also needs to be shared and guarded in line with law and ethics.
Our half-day Caldicott Guardian course is designed with real-life practice in mind. Expert trainer Barry Moult will take you from the initial ‘what is it?’ of the role, through thought-provoking case studies, to understanding the breadth and impact of data sharing in health and social care.
Part 1: The Role
- Background and history of the Caldicott Guardian
- The Caldicott Principles from 1997 to 2021
- Confidentiality within the role
- Case studies and ‘Caldicott Decisions’
- Ethics and Considerations
- Defining ‘common law’
- Ethics and morality in data sharing
- Application of the Caldicott Principles
- Working with internal and external teams
Part 2: Applicable Data Protection Laws
- The GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018
- Special Category Personal Data
- Data controllers and processors
- Key principles of GDPR including purpose limitation and accountability
- Lawful bases for holding data
- Rights of individuals and protecting those rights
Part 3: Data Security for Caldicott Guardians
- Key considerations for data security
- Personal data breaches
- Privacy by Design
- Other key legislation
- The ICO, toolkits, and best practice
- 10 Data security standards
- Access to Healthcare Records Act 1990
This is a virtual course which is held online using Microsoft Teams. All documents provided throughout the course will be shared via Teams.
We start the course at 9am and finish at around 1pm.
The course takes around 4 hours to complete, but we remain flexible on timing, as often we will discuss practical applications to develop understanding.
Our course is great for
- Caldicott Guardians
- Deputy Caldicott Guardians
- Those who are responsible for patient’s data
- Those working in data protection that would like further knowledge around health and social care data
- Senior managers who need to understand the sensitivity of patient data
- Information Governance team members who want a better understanding
Purpose of the Training
The purpose of the training is to ensure that delegates are sufficiently trained to deliver the role of the Caldicot Guardian. Delegates will come away with a deep understanding of the role, the safe sharing of patient data and mitigation of risks associated with patients, staff and the organisation.
Delegates will confidently be able to understand what data they can share, and provide assurance to the Board that the organisation is acting in the right manner.
- Expert trainer Barry Moult
- Course Certificate
- 1/2 day virtual course with exam
- All course materials shared via online platform for you to use in the future
|Applying Data Protection to your Marketing Activities||01 Nov|
|How to Understand the Data Protection Act 2018||24 Nov|
|Handling Data Breaches||Register interest|
|When is a Data Protection Impact Assessment needed and how to conduct one||Register interest|