BCS FOUNDATION CERTIFICATE IN INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES
As a result of the rising demand for smart devices both commercially and within businesses, there has been, and continues to be an increasing demand for information security professionals. In addition Data Protection professionals are increasing being asked for security related advice when undertaking roles such as Data Protection Officer or Information Governance Manager.
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles aims to introduce Information Security Principles for those who have little or no previous experience and adds value to the CV and standing of any Data Protection professional.
The course is ideal for those wanting to enhance their knowledge of Information Security within their organisation, at a level that gives you an understanding of the principles behind keeping data safe – ensuring you can apply your new knowledge in day to day work.
This certificate offers a well-rounded approach to information security principles.
Useful Course Information
Please note that due to the COVID-19 Pandemic all our courses will now be held virtually (or otherwise agreed). All of our courses are tutor-led by experienced data protection professionals.
You will need access to Microsoft Teams (MS Teams) and OneDrive throughout the course. All courses will commence at 9 am and will finish at 4.30 pm. Breaks will be scheduled throughout the day. If you need to attend a meeting during the day, please discuss this with the trainer so they can tie this into allocated breaks.
You will be sent (via email) a link to the Microsoft Team 2 – 3 weeks prior to the course. Please ensure that you are able to access this before the course commences.
All of our courses have a maximum of 12 delegates.
All BCS Courses Include:
- Paperback BCS Information Security Management Principles 3rd edition released in January 2021 (sent to your home address prior to the course).
- 12-month BCS Associate membership.
- Printed course materials including sample papers.
- BCS exam (to be taken when convenient to you).
- Support for 1-month post-course on data protection related matters.
- Over 40 useful tools, templates, audits, policies and more for you to use within your organisation.
- Sample papers to help you revise.
- An innovative risk model designed for you to assess data protection risks in your organisation.
- Opportunity to network with other professionals.
BCS Exam Information
The DPAS Training Manager will set you up on the dedicated BCS portal which is where you will book your exam. To access this you will be sent a one time link to the portal to book your exam.
You can take your exam at any time that suits you, there is no time limit on when you sit the exam. However, you will need to ensure that you are following the updated syllabus if you take it 6 months after the course.
The exam itself is held via remote proctor (essentially, someone watches you complete the exam). You can do this at any location convenient to you. You will use your own device for the exam. The exam is a 2-hour closed book exam with 100 multiple-choice questions. The pass rate is 65/100 (65%).
If you have a disability or English is not your foreign language you may be entitled to extra time, further information can be found here.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the concepts relating to information security management.
- Understanding of current national legislation and regulations which impact upon information security management.
- Awareness of current national and international standards, frameworks and organisations which facilitate the management of information security.
- Understanding of the current business and common technical environments in which information security management must operate.
- Knowledge of the categorisation, operation and effectiveness of controls of different types and characteristics.
It is recommended that candidates read the BCS book, ‘Information Security Management Principles’, which is the approved reference book for this qualification before taking this exam. This book is included free of charge with this training course.
Who Is The Course For
The certificate is relevant to anyone requiring an understanding of Information Security Management Principles as well as those with an interest in information security either as a potential career or as an additional part of their general business knowledge.
It is very much a firm foundation on which other qualifications can be built or which provides a thorough general understanding to enable organisations to begin to ensure their information is protected appropriately.
This qualification is likely to be of particular benefit to those working in the following areas:
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Information Governance, risk and compliance
- Data Management
- Project Management
- Information Security and IT
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there any entry requirements to the course?
- There are no formal entry requirements however, the candidate should have basic working IT knowledge and an awareness of the issues involved with the security control activities.
- It’s recommended that candidates read the BCS course approved reference book Information Security Management Principles, as well as attend training with a BCS accredited training course.
- What comes next after the Foundation CISMP Course?
- Depending on your career path (IT or Data Protection) the BCS and DPAS hold a variety of courses with work hand in hand with this course.
- How long does the course take?
- Our course runs for 4 days (9 am-4.30 pm)
- Can I just sit the exam rather than do the course?
- We can certainly do this for you, just get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have completed the course and would like access to the free templates you can request them from us directly.
If you have forgotten the password, get in touch with us via the contact form below.