BCS FOUNDATION CERTIFICATE IN DATA PROTECTION
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection is designed for those who wish to acquire sound knowledge in the key elements of the law and its practical application.
This qualification is primarily aimed at those who need to understand data protection, and the GDPR, to do their job; or those whose effectiveness in their role would be enhanced by knowledge of the law in this area.
The aim of the syllabus is so delegates gain knowledge of UK data protection law, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the UK Data Protection Act 2018, along with an understanding of how they are applied in practice.
Useful Course Information
Please note that due to the COVID-19 Pandemic all our courses will now be held virtually (or otherwise agreed). All of our courses are tutor-led by experienced data protection professionals.
You will need access to Microsoft Teams (MS Teams) and OneDrive throughout the course. All courses will commence at 9 am and will finish at 4.30 pm. Breaks will be scheduled throughout the day. If you need to attend a meeting during the day, please discuss this with the trainer so they can tie this into allocated breaks.
You will be sent (via email) a link to the Microsoft Team 2 – 3 weeks prior to the course. Please ensure that you are able to access this before the course commences.
All of our courses have a maximum of 12 delegates.
All BCS Courses Include:
- Paperback BCS Data Protection and Compliance book released in November 2021 (sent to your home address prior to the course).
- 12-month BCS Associate membership.
- Printed course materials including sample papers.
- BCS exam (to be taken when convenient to you).
- Support for 1-month post-course on data protection related matters.
- Over 40 useful tools, templates, audits, policies and more for you to use within your organisation.
- Sample papers to help you revise.
- An innovative risk model designed for you to assess data protection risks in your organisation.
- Opportunity to network with other data protection professionals.
BCS Exam Information
The DPAS Training Manager will set you up on the dedicated BCS portal which is where you will book your exam. To access this you will be sent a one time link to the portal to book your exam.
You can take your exam at any time that suits you, there is no time limit on when you sit the exam. However, you will need to ensure that you are following the updated syllabus if you take it 6 months after the course.
The exam itself is held via remote proctor (essentially, someone watches you complete the exam). You can do this at any location convenient to you. You will use your own device for the exam. The exam is a 1-hour closed book exam. The pass rate is 26/40 (65%).
If you have a disability or English is not your foreign language you may be entitled to extra time, further information can be found here.
Candidates should be able to:
- Hold a recognised qualification in data protection.
- Gain an understanding of the key changes that the GDPR and the Data Protection Act (2018) bring to data protection.
- Gain an understanding of the new rights available to data subjects and the implications of those rights with the GDPR and Data Protection Act (2018).
- Gain an understanding of individual and organisational responsibilities under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act (2018), particularly the need for effectiveness record keeping.
- Gain an understanding of the increased obligations faced by data controllers and data processors as a result of the GDPR coming into force and the Data Protection Act (2018) being enacted.
- Be better placed to support their organisation in processing customer data in compliance with the GDPR and the Data Protection Act (2018).
Who Is The Course For
This qualification is primarily aimed at those who need to have an understanding of data protection, and the GDPR in particular, to do their job; or those whose effectiveness in their role would be enhanced by knowledge of the law in this area.
This qualification is likely to be of particular benefit to those working in the following areas:
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Information Governance, risk and compliance
- Data Management
- Project Management
- Directors/Senior Managers with Data Protection responsibilities
- Legal and procurement
- Marketing and Sales professionals
- Information Security and IT
- Human Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there any entry requirements to the course?
- None. Some knowledge of data protection law would be an advantage to the candidate, as well as basic working knowledge of IT and GDPR.
- What comes next after the Foundation Course in Data Protection?
- The next course that the BCS offer is the BCS Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection.
- If you are acting as a Data Protection Officer, we would also recommend you do our 2-day CPD accredited ‘Role of the Data Protection Officer Course’.
- How long does the course take?
- Our course runs for 3 days (9 am-4.30 pm)
- Can I just sit the exam rather than do the course?
- We can certainly do this for you, just get in touch with us at email@example.com
If you have completed the course and would like access to the free templates you can request them from us directly.
If you have forgotten the password, get in touch with us via the contact form below.