This 4 day course is ideal for those wanting to enhance their knowledge of Information Security within their organisation, at a level that gives you an understanding of the principles behind keeping data safe – ensuring you can apply your new knowledge in day to day work.
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
As a result of the rising demand for smart devices both commercially and within businesses, there has been, and continues to be, an increasing demand for information security professionals. In addition, data protection professionals are increasingly being asked for security related advice when undertaking roles such as Data Protection Officer or Information Governance Manager.
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles aims to introduce information security principles for those who have little or no previous experience and adds value to the CV and standing of any data protection professional.
With the ever-evolving technologies and ways of working, securing data and information has never been more required. This certification has now been refreshed in line with current information security practices, and the existing technical landscape.
The course is ideal for those wanting to enhance their knowledge of information security within their organisation, at a level that gives you an understanding of the principles behind keeping data safe – ensuring you can apply your new knowledge in day to day work.
This certificate offers a well-rounded approach to information security principles. It is not a technical course and therefore works for those who are stepping into the cyber industry or for those who require the understanding to ensure they are safeguarding their company.
In addition to the 4 days of interactive or onsite training & exam, we also give you access to added-value products and services
- Paperback BCS Information Security Management Principles 3rd edition released in January 2021 (sent to your preferred address prior to the course).
- 12-month BCS Professional membership.
- Course materials including sample papers to help you revise.
- BCS exam (to be taken when convenient to you).
- Support for 1-month post-course on data protection related matters.
- Several useful tools, templates, audits, policies and more for you to use within your organisation.
- An innovative risk model designed for you to assess data protection risks in your organisation.
- Opportunity to network with other professionals.
Our course is great for
The certificate is relevant to anyone requiring an understanding of information security management principles as well as those with an interest in information security either as a potential career or as an additional part of their general business knowledge.
It is very much a firm foundation on which other qualifications can be built or which provides a thorough general understanding to enable organisations to begin to ensure their information is protected appropriately.
This qualification is likely to be of particular benefit to those working in the following areas:
- Data protection and privacy
- Information governance, risk and compliance
- Data management
- Project management
- Information security and IT
Purpose of the Training
The purpose of this training course as defined by the BCS is:
- To provide students who have not previously encountered information security with a basic understanding of the subject
- To allow students who have some experience of information security to enhance or refresh their knowledge
- To prepare students to take the exam for the BCS Foundation Certificate in Information Security Management Principles.
Information security and data protection professionals can start with this broad-based foundation course and progress to more subject focused practitioner certifications.
The course takes 4 days to complete. The course will be held virtually (unless otherwise agreed).
You will need access to Microsoft Teams throughout the course as all sessions are held via Teams.
The BCS exam is included within the cost of the course. The exam is currently available online via remote proctor, to be completed after the course at a time suitable to you.
The DPAS training manager will set you up on the dedicated BCS and QuestionMark portals which is where you will book your exam. To access this, you will be sent a one-time link to the portal to set up your account.
Although you can take your exam at any time that suits you, and there is no time limit on when you sit the exam, you will need to ensure that you are following the updated syllabus if you take it 6 months after the course.
You can carry out the exam at any location convenient to you. You will use your own device for the exam. The exam is a 2-hour closed book exam. The pass rate is 65/100 (65%)
- Information Security Management Principles
- Information Risk
- Information Security Framework
- Security Lifecycle
- Procedural and people-based security controls
- Technical security controls
- Technical security controls (Cont’d)
- Physical and environmental security controls
- Disaster recovery and business continuity management
- Other technical aspects
- Revision and exam preparation
|BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information||19 Apr|
|BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection||25 Apr|
|Introduction to Cyber Security||Register interest|
|BCS Practitioner Certificate in Data Protection||15 May|